TCS’ commitment to the environment stems from the Tata Group’s abiding concern for the environment, climate change and society, which is embodied in the Tata Code of Conduct and the Tata Group Climate Change Policy.
TCS recognizes environmental impact and climate change among the key sustainability challenges to businesses and society; affecting economic stability, ecology and vulnerable communities. TCS is committed to assume a leadership role in environmental protection and climate change mitigation while pursuing our business aspirations and enhancement of shareholder value.
TCS is a global organization providing IT services, business solutions, and outsourcing to clients worldwide. We recognize the direct impacts on the environment arising out of our operations and facilities due to consumption of resources like energy, water, etc. and generation of wastes. We also realize the potential of our IT services and solutions to drive efficiencies through optimization and reduction of wastages, which directly or indirectly reduces environmental / climate impact for our customers.
We shall strive to minimize our direct impacts on the environment while concurrently enhancing our services and solutions to help customers to improve their environmental and carbon performance toward meeting their sustainability objectives.
TCS aims to fulfil its environmental commitments through the following broad-level actions:
- Integrate energy and environmental considerations into the design of our new infrastructural facilities
- Improve resource efficiency in operations, especially for key resources such as, energy and water
- Reduce carbon footprint through energy efficiency measures and increasing the renewable energy component of our energy portfolio
- Adopt the “3-R” (reduce, reuse and recycle) philosophy for all types of wastes to prevent pollution and dispose off “inevitable” wastes, particularly electronic waste, in line with regulatory requirements or industry best practice
- Preserve and enhance biodiversity in our campuses
- Strive toward “greening” our IT infrastructure and operations including data centers
- Ardently promote “green procurement”
- Consider stakeholder expectations for improvement of our infrastructure, operations, processes and solutions to the extent feasible
- Set, monitor, benchmark and review objectives and targets on an ongoing basis toward achieving continuous improvement in environmental and climate performance and the overall environmental management system
- Comply with all the applicable environmental and related legal and other requirements and, wherever feasible, strive for “beyond compliance” leadership
- Engage and involve customers, vendors and contractors in our environmental sustainability mission by sharing our expectations to collaboratively achieve our environmental objectives toward greening the supply chain
- Report our environmental performance and contribution to climate-change related issues through relevant international and national forums and to other stakeholders through appropriate communication channels
- Communicate the environmental policy to all employees, customers, business associates and other stakeholders and ensure it is available to the public
- Review the environmental policy and allied management systems periodically to ensure their continuing applicability and relevance to our operations and evolving stakeholder expectations
- Strive to support various voluntary national and international protocols, conventions and agreements on environment and proactively engage with governmental and other agencies in driving future environmental policy and regulation
At TCS, protection of the environment is integral to our business strategy toward sustainability and we shall strive to fulfil all our environmental obligations and commitments as a truly responsible global corporate citizen.